Pages

Thursday 5 August 2010

Gaeas Lovely Heart

Perhaps you remember that I was the incredibly lucky winner of all the beads from the June monthly challenge on Art Bead Scene. Beads from Natural Touch, HumbleBeads & Gaea Cannaday, who all were sponsors that month.
About a week ago I recieved a really nice parcel from Gaea with a variety of handmade ceramic beads. I loved them all. But I have to admit that the big heart with the scull and the roses stood out as something I would most likely not have purchased myself. What on earth was I gonna do with that? I am not a "sculls person", you see.
But the funny thing is that if something bothers me I just can't leave it alone. So the heart has been laying on my work desk ever since I got it. And then my daughter, 7 years old Arabella, came in to my studio last night to say goodnight, directly picked up the heart and asked if she could have it. "Hm, I don't know darling, let me think about it. It is a valuable bead, you see." So after she had left I stared at the heart. Ok, it would have to be a necklace of course. How about a light blue silk ribbon? Wow, that looks really nice colour wise! I was really surprised, and suddenly really excited. That heart that I had had difficulty seeing in a piece of jewellery made by myself, was suddenly something very interesting and challenging.
I ended up sitting there for a couple of hours testing variations and putting the piece together.
So much FUN! I love it when things just happens like that. Unexpected inspiration. The three other beads are also made by Gaea. I started on a pair of really nice earrings too, that could go with necklace if you would like to. With some gemstone beads that arrived along with some other beauties from StarEyes yesterday. The end of the story is that my daughter will not get the heart after all. I will have to come up with something else for her. And the necklace will be listed for sale in my Etsy shop. I have named it "Gaeas Lovely Heart".
Thank you Gaea for a wonderful, unexpected and fun creating experience!

Links:

12 comments:

SueBeads said...

GORGEOUS!

Spirited Earth said...

this is really lovely..fun too have such a challenge.

steufel said...

This is great! I'm also not a skull-person, but I have to admit presented this way I find it pretty charming!

Lorelei Eurto said...

Great necklace Malin!! Love Gaea's work!

Rebecca said...

This is really gorgeous Malin! I too am not a skulls person but this works so well. I love the way you have used colour here. Fab!

Claire Maunsell said...

Lovely necklace! So satisfying to find something that really works!

Malin de Koning said...

Thank you so much for all the nice words. We are going to visit some friends summers house later today. And I feel I just have to wear it then. So summery.

TesoriTrovati said...

Very, very nice! I think that for a stunner of a bead/focal like that, the more simple the rest is just lovely. But it is not simple in the way that it is without interest. It is indeed a complex piece, well balanced and airy. Very light and lovely.
Thanks for sharing.
Enjoy the day!
Erin

Cindy said...

What a beautiful necklace! I love the colors and how it appears so light and summery...and romantic (even with skulls!). I also really like the length!

Christina said...

Malin, the necklace is really a nice eye cacher. Except your lovely eyes and smile, it was the first thing I saw when you came to visit us at the summer house.

Excellent work!
Love
Christina

Pretty Things said...

OMG that's gorgeous. I would SOOOOO wear that.

EB Bead and Metal Works, LLC said...

What a great necklace! I love what you did with the skull and how everything turned out. Awesome.